Saturday, October 16, 2010

Fall at Japanese Garden

Today we went back to the Anderson Garden in Rockford to see the fall colors and to see a traditional "thick tea" tea ceremony demonstration.  This was just what I needed to regroup, re-energize, and get my head together so the next few weeks are productive, not stressful!



Photos by Sarah, Oct 15, 2010






The tea ceremony was quite interesting, and was performed by men.   That in itself isn't unusual, as the Warrior class in Japan (Samurai) apparently did this regularly to take a break from the stresses of life and impending war, and to practice self control.  However, I have only seen young high school girls do a casual "thin tea" ceremony, and it had quite a different atmosphere this way.  I really love the spirit behind a lot of Japanese tradition, the balance and tranquility, and that they see the art in the spaces... that de-cluttering the space allows for focus and lack of clutter in the mind.   Balance is so important, and even in the garden you see it everywhere.  The perfect mixing of heights of plants, the reds and oranges from fall with the fading greens of summer and the evergreens that will remain.  The perfectly evenly spaced lines drawn around the rocks in the gravel (I get a little thrill at those,  I admit!) It's really a beautiful place, and even after only the second time there, I can honestly say it's a favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment